Monday, April 14, 2008

Technology

I promise I will not have three posts everyday, but today is the first day and I have plenty to write about on the blog. This morning I had office hours for The Current Sauce, the Northwestern State University student-run newspaper, and about an hour in the internet went down. I hate when technology fails me or fails in general. I live through technology. Constantly I am checking and writing e-mails, going to new websites, reading the news from the best websites and news sources on the web and trying to find something new to do online, and because of my addiction with doing all of the above I am dependent upon computers and especially the Internet. Anyway, the Internet was out for about two hours and I was confined to using my Blackberry for all communication through technology. I love my Blackberry as a secondary source, but not as the only source for surfing the web. During the two hours, the News Editor began to wonder how the down time was impacting the school, students and faculty at NSU, and I began to ponder life without the Internet and before the Internet. We were most definitely a more patient society because we could not just send a quick e-mail to someone about an event taking place at the end of the week, but rather had to hand write or type a letter to be mailed by the United States Postal Service. The turn around time was much greater, but the message was much more personal. Now if I send an e-mail, I expect a response within 24 hours for sure and normally within 8-12 hours. Ultimately, I realize that technology is a very important resource in the business world and in the personal world, but is it more important than the virtue of patience? I do not know the answer to this question, but what is your take. Let everyone know by commenting to this post. For now, technology will continue to make me more impatient than what I would be without having technology.

2 comments:

Kelli said...

You should read The Hatchet by Gary Paulsen -- or watch Castaway. You never know when your plane is going to crash and you're going to end up on a deserted island. ;-)

Anonymous said...

You're observation about patience is astute. I find that I'm much less patient about receiving responses to e-mail than by snail mail or even after leaving a voice mail message. However, I type faster than I can write and communicating with folks is much easier with this sort of technology. I wouldn't want to go back in time.