Monday, April 14, 2008

The Masters

Yesterday was the final round of my favorite major championship in golf-- The Masters. I watched bits and pieces of the tournament from Thursday to Saturday and had full intentions of watching or listening to almost all of the final round on Sunday, but something was not happening fast enough for me. What was that something that was missing? It was Tiger Woods making a comeback to win his fifth green jacket of his career. I am normally for the underdog, but Tiger just has that element that makes me want to always see him on top. I like seeing him make the long putts as he did on the 11th hole on Sunday, and I wish he could have made a couple on the 13th-18th holes to cause some excitement. Like I said, I had full intentions of watching or listening to almost all of the final round, but I did not because Tiger was not making a big enough run for the championship. I am happy for Trevor Immelman for winning his first green jacket and following in the footsteps of his mentor and fellow South African Gary Player, but I still wish Tiger could have pulled it off. Trevor Immelman did break one of Tiger's records though; he was 10-under on Par 4's for the tournament. In one interview today, Immelman said that he did not look at the scoreboard at all and did not know where he stood after the double bogey on 16. I find that impressive to have so much self-discipline. He did say that his caddie told him he was still doing fine, but his caddie never told him exactly how he stood or who was behind him. Next year, It will be Trevor Immelman presenting the green jacket to someone, and maybe it will be a someone who was receiving his fifth green jacket, but until then I will continue to cheer for the favorite as Tiger plays for the other three championships and many other PGA events for the remainder of the season.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Watching the Masters yesterday was almost a punishment. It was in a word, BORING.